All of the 2017 accomplishments I’m most proud of come down to one thing, so if there’s anything I’m resolving to keep up in 2018 it’s this: Small Goals. It wasn’t a perfect year by any means, there were definitely months where I dropped off of my goals, and I think that’s because I still feel pressure to make them grand – when that’s not the point!
So this year I will keep doing Small Goals, and will do my best to actually keep them small. Let’s start with how I did in January.
January Small Goals
1. Unsubscribe from email lists – Done! My iPhone reached over 100,000 emails in December and that was the tipping point for me to sort out this email newsletter situation. I’ve unsubscribed from as many as I can, and now unsubscribing is a regular part of my email-checking routine. (By the way, I’ve tried Unroll.me in the past, but now I’m moving away from it). Do you have email management tips?! I’m still over 99,000… 2. Go 2 weeks without sugar – 99.99% done! I went two weeks without eating any form of sugar, artificial sweetener, sugar substitute, high glycemic fruits, and refined white flours. Except for one meal in which I ate rice at an Indian restaurant (only after trying to eat it without rice, which was dumb).
3. Write 4 blog posts – Going to keep making this a Small Goal until it happens.
4. Get to work earlier – I shaved about 30 minutes off of my morning routine. It meant rearranging my morning and now walking Katsu at 6:30am (in the dark), and not meditating anymore. But it’s still not enough! I still want to get to work about 10 minutes earlier, and I need to find another time in my day to start meditating. 5. Start dancing again – I danced ballet for over 15 years and now I mostly dance in front of my bathroom mirror – which I thought was satisfying my dancing needs. I’ve been going to dance classes weekly since the New Year and I can’t believe how exhilarated and happy I feel afterwards. Why did I wait so long?!
February Small Goals
1. Start meditating again – I was meditating every day by the end of 2017, but with my new abbreviated morning routine I haven’t found the dedicated 15 minutes in my day to make this a daily habit again. That’s right, I’m starting at just 15 minutes, so in theory it shouldn’t be *too* difficult to fit in.
2. Write 4 blog posts – Let’s try this again!
3. Collaborate with someone new – Thanks to my Small Goal last year to get coffee with more people I don’t know, I’ve met so many inspiring creatives here in Austin. This month I’d like to collaborate to create something that pushes my own boundaries.
4. Fix my hard drive – What a terrible, grown-up admin goal this is, but my broken external hard drive really has been holding me back from producing content that I’ve been working on… like my Iceland video! Fingers crossed this doesn’t get too expensive!
That’s it! Keeping it small and simple this month.